Recorded in Domesday variously as "Aneus", "Anehus" "Anuhus" and "Anhus", today it is mainly modern housing for commuters with a few scattered older buildings. The House of Industry was built in 1779 to serve the entire hundred of Stow. Later it became the Union Workhouse. The round tower of the parish church has recently been restored.
Locals pronounce the village name as Wunnus; it appears on John Speed's 1610 map as Onehouſe. According to BBC Radio Suffolk, this is the only village or hamlet in the entire country called Onehouse.