Rumburgh

app
pulling together logo

Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.

If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.

Introduction

A village straggling alongside a series of minor roads, recorded in Domesday variously as "Roburc", "Romborc" and "Ramburc". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Rumboro".

The Benedictine monastery was founded before the Norman Conquest but closed by Cardinal Wolsey in 1528 to help fund the building of a college in Ipswich. It is said that through this act he had an unexpected windfall, as the Abbot of York had deposited many valuable items for "safe keeping" at the priory. Despite his protests they were never returned. Subsequently the fledgling college was closed by Henry VIII when Wolsey fell from power a short while later.

A Q Type bombing decoy was built in 1942 in the south (at TM 356 825) of St Michael South Elmham (but designated as Rumburgh) to deflect enemy bombers from RAF Bungay. See Pastscape for more details.

A hundred acre green which once stood on the border with Wissett may have been used in ancient football games.

Gallery

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X