Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
The pub has reopened.
Real Ale is sold here.
Mill Rd, IP19 0NT
grid reference TM 345 814
A popular local at the heart of village life. A new licensee took over the pub on 01/10/2019. This historic inn was extended some years ago to create a number of interlinked areas including dining & games rooms. Guest beers are usually from local breweries. CAMRA Suffolk pub of the year 2007 & 2012. Opens 12-11 Sat&Sun in summer months.
The inn and the parish church were formerly part of a Benedictine priory.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Camping or caravan site nearby
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available
- Dogs welcome: public bar and garden
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Railway station about 3.9 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
The pub is a former 16th century monastery guesthouse.
Jock and Laura Canham became landlords of The Buck on September 26th 1926 after previous landlord Ernest Warren was asked to leave after he got his housekeeper pregnant, Jock and Laura ran the pub until Jock passed away during the 1950's but Laura continued to run the pub with the help of her son Nelson (so named because he was born in Holton Lord Nelson) The Buck was owned by the village church until they sold to Adnams during the 1950's…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)