Real Ale is sold here.
21 Thoroughfare, IP19 8AH
grid reference TM 386 774
This Tudor inn has two comfortable bars to enjoy a drink and to eat from the all-day bar menu. There is also Cleone's Italian restaurant for lunch and dinner. All are reached from a central glazed-roof covered courtyard.
The building dates from the 16th century, with 17th & 19th century alterations.
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area: patio at rear
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: well-behaved on lead, but only in Courtyard area or on patio
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Smoking area: patio at rear
- WiFi available
Railway station about 0.4 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The Angel is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
A former Commercial hotel & Posting house.
Magistrates once held Petty Sessions here and cock-fighting was also recorded in the Ipswich Journal.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, February 24th 1733*** to the Angel Inn, Halesworth.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, December 13th 1746*** to Thomas Cunningham, who lately kept the Angel in Halesworth.
John Catton, from the City of Norwich has now taken the Angel in Halesworth where Charles Jenkinson lately lived.Ipswich Journal, August 5th 1749***
Cocking at John Cotton's, the Angel in Halesworth.Ipswich Journal, March 10th 1750***
Cocking at John Catton's Angel Inn at Halesworth between the gentlemen of Suffolk and Norfolk, on the Wednesday 28th of March-to …
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)