Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Beccles for a puritan,
Bungay for the poor,
Halesworth for a drunkard,
And Blythburgh for a whoreold verse
The settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Haleurda", "Halesuuorda" or "Healesuurda".
The town certainly became an important brewing and malting centre after the opening of the River Blyth Navigation after an Act of Parliament in 1756. Today, the canal is little more than a stream, giving no clue as to its former navigability.
Dawson Turner and his son-in-law, William Hooker, owned the Bridge Street brewery in 1817, where his son Joseph was born. Both William and son were later to become directors of Kew Gardens. It is also said that William Hooker began his extensive collection of herbs and four botanical works whilst living in the town. Today the Cut is a major arts venue in a converted brewery building near the station.
Halesworth Museum can be found at the town's railway station. …
Street-by-street pub list
The 1791 Universal British Directory lists John Andrews as a farrier and victualler, and Harley Archer as a butcher and victualler.
The 1844 White's Directory lists 4 brewers - Edward Prime (Bungay Road), Reeve & Cracknell (Market Place), Samuel Self (Chediston Street), Denny Wade (Mill Hill) - and also lists 8 beer houses run by:
Robert Barber (Chediston Street),
J Bird (Church Lane),
Mary Genery (Broadway),
Chas. Haward (Chediston Street),
Thomas Kent (Quay Street),
Cathan. Scarle (Quay Street),
William Smith (Chediston Street),
Jno. Wade (Bungay Road).…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.