also traded as Quay
3 The Quay
grid reference TM 388 776
An earlier thatched pub was burnt down and replaced with a brick building, which is now used as an office.
The Wherry is recorded in licensing records as late as 1967 (the most recent we've found) so closed since then, possibly in the early 1970s.
It's also listed as Quay Street and at The Quay (in 1891).
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
At the Halesworth Petty Sessions held in May 1865, the license for the Wherry Inn, halesworth, was granted to Maria Watson, widow of the late William Watson. Ipswich Journal, May 1865**
William Lancester called in at the Wherry at 9am for a half, he left the pub and sat outside. Mrs Watson asked him if he was tired, he replied "tired of life". He ran for the river but was apprehended and charged with attempting suicide. He was found guilty and discharged "for the present.Ipswich Journal, October 22nd 1881** (when Mrs Watson was the landlady)
In 1888 Aldous was listed as a carrier to Laxfield from the pub leaving on Tuesdays & Fridays.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.