Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
The settlements of Great Whelnetham and Sicklesmere are contiguous, meeting at the bridge over the river Lark. Today they are all part of one parish called Great Whelnetham, however it is still more usually referred to by locals as Sicklesmere. We have listed all pub details under Sicklesmere. Great Whelnetham appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Wheltham magna".
The village retains a windmill (Tutelina Mill, which worked from 1865 to 1910) and a tollhouse set on the old Bury to Sudbury turnpike and has won the Best Kept Village competition. Nearby Little Welnetham is a dry settlement.
Welnetham Railway Station (located in Little Welnetham) is a former stop on the Long Melford-Bury St Edmunds branch line. The station opened in August 1865 and closed in April 1961.
Alfred Hedges' 1976 book, "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk", lists a Shepherd & Dog in Sicklesmere. This is almost certainly in fact the Shepherd & Dog in Bury, which is on Sicklesmere Road.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists a beer house keeper called Wm. Borley (& baker) (Gt Welnetham).
The 1861 Census also lists William Mallows (Farm Bailiff, not publican, Sicklesmere Hamlet, pub not named, Head/Married/36/born Borough Green, Cambridgeshire) with Catherine Mallows (Beer Shop, Sicklesmere Hamlet, pub not named, Wife/Married/32/born Hinderclay) [Victoria?]
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called Edward Pettit (& bricklayer) (Gt Welnetham).…