A famous tourist spot near the Suffolk coast, which was recorded in Domesday as "Snapes". However, occupation of the area dates from Neolithic times. A Bronze age barrow is also still visible. In Roman times there was a salt works close to the river Alde. A Saxon shipburial was also found here in 1862 and a small Benedictine monastry existed locally during the Middle ages.
The Plough and Sail close to the famous Snape Maltings is actually in Tunstall parish.In fact the entire Snape Maltings are actually in the parish of Tunsall (being located on the south bank of the river). Their massive frontage was built by Neson Garrett in 1859. No longer used for their original purpose, today they house the Britten/Pears School of Advanced Musical Studies, the internationally famous concert centre and various other galleries and craft shops etc. A freight branch off the East Suffolk railway line to the Maltings was built in 1888 and operated until 1960.
Hudson's Mill stood on Church Road. It was the oldest dated windmill in Suffolk, built in 1668 but it ceased working by the early 1930s, when Britten converted it into a house. It was here that he composed Peter Grimes.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.