The village is mainly modern in character, with few older houses of interest on the main road. Tunsall Common to the east is a prime example of Sandling heathland. Dunningworth was a parish in its own right until the 16th cent. Had a horse fair until 1912. All that now remains is the restored hall and Snape Maltings - See Snape for more details.
Mill Lane marks the location of a large post mill built in 1810, demolished in 1929.
Tunstall was recorded in Domesday as "Tunestal" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Dunnyngworth".
The 1844 White's Suffolk Trades Directory lists a beer house run by Robert Cutting.
The 1851 Census also lists Robert Cutting (Beerhouse Keeper, pub not named, Head/Widower/59y/born Tunstall)
The 1861 Census also lists Thomas Newron (Innkeeper Out of Business, Upper St., [probably not a pub?], Lodger/Married/44y/born Campsea Ash) with Maria Newron (Upper St., [not pub?], Wife/Married/39y/born Eyke)
In 1874 Newson Garrett esq is listed as as a maltster & corn merchant at Snape bridge & carrier by water to & from London, & brewer (Smith, Garrett & Co of London).
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.