Somerleyton

app

Introduction

Overlooking the marshes bordering the Waveney, the village was rebuilt during the 1840s for Sir Samuel Morton Peto, an engineer who redesigned Lowestoft harbour and worked on various railway projects around the world. He also lived in the neo-Elizabethan hall which is built on the site of a former Tudor house. The maze and miniature railway are amongst the garden attractions (open May-Oct on Sun & Thurs plus Tues & Wed in Summer only).

Somerleyton is where Christopher Cockerell designed and tested the world's first hovercraft; a commemorative column (see gallery) was unveiled by his daughter Frances on June 4th 2010: the 100th anniversary of his birth.

The many attractive estate cottages dotted around the village (and beyond) look mediaeval, but actually only date from the 19th century (see the gallery for an example).

Somerleyton was recorded in Domesday as "Sumerledestuna" or "Sumerledetuna" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Somerleytowne". Another map of 1766 records the village as "Somerliton".…

Gallery

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

History

The 1844 White's Directory also lists a beer seller called Richard Pope.

The 1851 Census also lists Richard Pope (Carpenter, Street, not shown as pub or publican, Head/Married/53y/born Somerleyton) [Crown? Included because of 1844 & 1855 directory entries]

The 1855 White's Directory also lists a beer seller called Richard Pope.

The 1861 Census also lists Richard Pope (Licensed Retailer of Beer, Somerleyton St., pub not named, Head/Widower/69y/born Somerleyton) [Crown?]

The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Mrs Martha Farrow as a beer retailer.

The 1874 White's Directory also lists Richard Pope as a…

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X