Stratford St Mary
Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
A previous winner of Suffolk Best Kept Village and sited on the confluence of the rivers Stour and Brett, the village was recorded in Domesday as "Stratfort". The main street is lined with Tudor buildings, most notably the Weavers house. A Neolithic oval enclosure and "cirsus", may have been some form of ceremonial way but was destroyed by the building of the village dual-carriageway by-pass. Bronze age settlers also left many barrows in the area together with ring ditches. In multivalued times the village had a market and annual fair. Later it was an important staging post on the turn-pike from Ipswich to Colchester (and onto London).
The Romans set-up a staging post on Gun hill (just over the river and county border into Dedham, Essex). Piles from a possible Roman bridge over the Stour have been found near here. Many other Roman artefacts have been found in the area.
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer seller called Wm. Baines.