This village still has some fine rustic cottages. Moat Farm once had a fine set of fish ponds with an outlook platform to guard them from the unwanted attention of local herons.
An early Medieval cemetery has been uncovered at White House Farm. A post mill dating from 1797 stood in The Street until it was hit by lightning in 1923 and demolished.
Kerrison Reformatory was once a school for wayward children and was located in the parish from its formation in 1856 to 1973, when it became a Community Home.
The war memorial forms a triptych of tablets in the church's lych gate (two for the Great War, one for WW2).
Thorndon was recorded in Domesday as "Tornduna", "Torneduna!" or "Torentuna".
In the 1844 White's Directory two beer houses are listed, one in name of Geo. & Thos. Nunn and the other under Jemima Wright.
The 1851 Census also lists Robt Churchyard (Carpenter & Beerhouse, pub not named, Head/Married/59/born Hoxne)
The 1855 White's Directory lists two beer houses run by Robert Churchyard (carpenter) and James Peck (carrier).
In 1861 census Robert Churchyard/61y/Hoxne is listed as a Carpenter & beer retailer (6 doors from the Glebe House)
In 1865 Leonard Fisk (grocer) is listed as a beer retailer.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.