Establishment(s) understood to have reopened.
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
Bramfield is a linear village alongside the A144, recorded in Domesday as "Brifelda". A "crinkle-crankle" wall and thatched church with a detached round tower can be found in the parish. The remains of the Bramfield Oak can still be seen at Bramfield Hall. It died in the mid-19th century, but is mentioned in stories as early as the 12th century.
Probably the best-known business in the village is Bramfield Meats, a major supplier of meat across the region. They suffered a big fire at their headquarters in 2016, but were fortunately able to continue in business.
The 1791 Universal British Directory says of Bramfield,
[...] a small town, 2 miles and a half from Halesworth and 97 miles from London. It has neither market nor fair, but abounds with corn and hay. It is on the turnpike road to Bungay and a mail-cart from Yoxford to Bungay passes through every day.
A tower mill stood by the road to Halesworth until it was demolished about 1955. Neal Almshouses date from 1723.
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Henry Balls (may have been the Bell?)
The 1851 Census lists George Hurren (Innkeeper, Bridge Street, pub not named, Head/Married/47y/born Kelsale) with Elizabeth Hurren (Bridge St., pub not named, Wife/Married/43y/born Lewes, Sussex).
The 1855 White's Directory lists Wm. Aldis Higham as a brewer & malster and also lists John Kerridge (also listed as a taylor) as a beer house keeper. (may have been the Bell?)
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists William Higham as a maltster and brewer and also lists Robert William Edwards as a beer retailer.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.