A small coastal parish, also known as Ginacre which was recorded in Domesday as "Benagra". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Benaker".
A lake of about 40 hectares, called Benacre Broad, lies close to the sea.
A stone vessel, containing about 900 Roman silver coins (some from Emperor Vespasian period - 69 to 79AD) was found whilst mending a local road in 1786.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.