Now a dry parish. Syleham was recorded in Domesday as "Seilam" or "Seilanda". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Sylam".
The village seems to have developed as two settlements, one along the Waveney Valley and the other up on the hill. The upper village is set around the Great Green, with several farms still in operation and a ruined windmill, which was moved here from Wingfield in 1823, tailwinded in 1947 and run with an engine until 1967. The mill was wrecked in the great storm of 1987.
The site of a water mill (now residential), in the valley by the toll bridge to Brockdish, is clearly evident and (within living memory) there was once a thriving drabbet factory alongside. This would have been an important source of employment for the village and a reminder of the local flax growing industry.
Monks Hall also provides a reminder of the link with Thetford Priory and was once used as the monks' hunting lodge.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by James Crickmore. [Black Horse?]