A scattered village, where the lord of the manor was once the Earl of Stradbroke and a "pleasure fair" used to be held here on Trinity Tuesdays. A post mill stood off the London Road until 1921.
Uggelshall was recorded in Domesday variously as "Ugghecala", "Uggecehala", "Uggiceheala", "Ulkesala" and "Wggessala". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Vggeſhall".
The 1874 White's Directory also lists Wm. Watson as a beer house keeper (& blacksmith).
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists Mrs Caroline Watson as a beer retailer (& blacksmith).
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists Wm. Cross as a beer house keeper (& blacksmith).
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists Hy. Baker as a beer retailer (& blacksmith).