Rural parish close to Botesdale that includes a church to St Mary with a tower and five bells. Sir William de Burgate is entombed in the chancel. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Burgata" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Buddeldale".

An Iron Age settlement has been uncovered near the Wortham-Mellis road. A hoard of Roman coins was found by metal detectors between 1991 and 1994. Amongst the find were 167 siliquae. It's thought the hoard dates from about 410.

A Q Type bombing decoy was built in the south-west of the parish (TM 064 731) to deflect enemy bombing from RAF Wattisham and RAF Great Ashfield. See Pastscape for more information.


thumbnail thumbnail


Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.