Sapiston

app

Introduction

Small scattered village on the Black Bourn, close to Ixworth. It was recorded in Domesday as "Sapestuna". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Sapſton".

The Duke of Grafton built a National School here in 1841.

The name means "village of soap makers".

A possible ancient settlement has been postulated in the south of the parish, though no significant finds have surfaced.

Gallery

thumbnail thumbnail

History

The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists William W Pulham (& grocer & draper) as a beer retailer.

The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists William Pulham (& grocer & draper) as a beer retailer.

The 1912 Kelly's Directory also lists William Pulham (& grocer) as a beer retailer.

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X