Claydon is made up of mainly modern housing set in the Gipping valley to the north of Ipswich. It's one of the few places in Suffolk were the underlying chalk nearly reaches the surface (as can be seen in the local chalk-pits). The village was recorded in Domesday as "Clainduna" or "Claindune". and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Cleydon".

Claydon station closed in 1963, as part of the Beeching Axe.

Claydon Hall is a 14th century moated manor house which may be on the site of an older castle. There's evidence of Iron Age and Roman occupation in the area at the north end of Papermill Lane; this was discovered during the construction of the Claydon Bypass. There's a lime kiln and chalkpit on Claydon Hill; the date 1724 is inscribed on it.




George Brown is listed in 1874 as brewing in Claydon.

The 1891-92 White's Directory lists a beerhouse run by John Bridges (also listed as a shopkeeper).

The 1911 Census lists William Robert Hunt (Licensed Victualler, The Street, pub not named, Head/Married/45/born Leeds, Yorkshire).

The 1922 Kelly's Directory lists Taylor & Sons as beer bottlers.


Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.