Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
formerly Station Hotel, Anchor Railway
Real Ale is sold here.
19 Quayside, IP12 1BX
grid reference TM 273 488
opened 17th century
owner/operator: Greene King
The pub has a cosy front bar with two main drinking areas and an open fire during the winter months, and there's a larger seating and dining area to the rear (via some steps) with lower beamed ceilings. Parts of the building date back to the 17th century. The pub also offers an open seating area to the front of the building in warmer weather. No entry after 10.30pm.
Also listed at Common Quay & Quay La.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cask Marque accredited
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
Railway station about 0.1 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Also listed at Common Quay and Quay Lane.
Thomas Cole of Wivenhoe has taken the Anchor Alehouse in Woodbridge, situated near the Waterside, late in the Occupation of Sweeten Fuller.Ipswich Journal, June 29th 1751***
Mary, wife of Thomas Cole of the Anchor, at Woodbridge, eloping for the second time. He intended to keep the House and not leave off trade, as was reported.Ipswich Journal, May 30th 1752***
To be sold, the Anchor in Woodbridge, an ancient, well accustomed House, with a Brewhouse and other Conveniences, with a large Stable that will contain 30 Horses, in the Occupation of Mr Sweeten Fuller, the lease of the said Premises expires on Michaelmas Day 1753.Ipswich Journal, July 4th 1752***
Near the pub the East Suffolk Railway Line was opened from Ipswich to Great Yarmouth on the 1 June 1859.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)