CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich Rising Sunhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed August 28th, 1960
63 Princes St
The Rising Sun stood on the junction of Princes Street and James Street (which no longer exists). It was subject to a compulsory purchase order and demolished in 1960 for the Civic Drive development scheme.
The pub is listed in Bird's Garden, St Nicholas' parish in the 1841 census, which may have been an earlier building. It has not been found in censuses from 1851 to 1881.
Another listing shows the pub at Friars Street (maybe an earlier building?)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure details from Ipswich licensing records.
Petty Sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings)
(** historic newspaper information from John Martin)