app

Barnby Blind Man's Gate

Barnby Blind Man's Gate

52.456487,1.659429

Closed between 1920 and 1970

Beccles Rd

grid reference TM 487 905

The pub can be seen here on the 1884 OS map (larger map).

pub on old OS map

An inn appears on the OS maps at this approximate location at least as late as 1946. On the 1856 map, "Blindman's Gate" is marked here.

It's listed in the 1910 Rates book as being owned by the Crown Brewery of Lowestoft.

A car wash now stands on the site of the pub.

There's no consensus as to the origin of this unusual name; one suggestion is that it was originally a tollhouse looked after by a blind man.

Map

map
expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X