grid reference TM 163 440Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 07/05/2019
Ipswich Bridge Tavernhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed December 28th, 1917
13 Bridge St
After closure, the Bridge Tavern was used for many years as a Fish & Chip shop, before its demolition in 1960s. Today the site is under the road junction on town side of Stoke Bridge.
The closure date is recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
Harry Marney ran the pub for about 10 years until around 1916-18. Part of the building was a gymnasium where he trained local lads the art of boxing. Harry Marney was the landlord's stage name. His real name was Harry Rednall. His son Macdonald (christened Macdonald Marney Rednall) later adopted Marney as his surname and also built up a very successful fish and chip business. In turn his son went on to built up the Mac Marney Refrigeration company still operating in Ipswich.
The pub is shown (though unnamed) on this old OS map from about 1902 (larger map)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(historical information supplied by Tony Rednall)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.