CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 07/05/2019
Ipswich Queen's Headhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed December 31st, 1963
last owner Tolly Cobbold
33 St Matthew's St
The original Queen's Head was demolished when Civic Drive was built. A new pub of same name was subsequently built near to the site.
It was listed at Church Lane, which formerly ran roughly where the northern-most part of Civic Drive now is.
The Queens Head was popular with the USAF guys from Bentwaters and us Ipswich lads had a good black market going in cigarettes and booze which passed under the tables in the Queens Head. Happy days.from Ian Johnson
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1883.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)