Important Covid information

Although the latest lockdown has now ended, Suffolk remains in Tier Two, which means that drinks on the premises can only be sold with "substantial" meals. This of course rules out reopening for the vast majority of pubs. As and when pubs reopen, we will list them on this page and highlight them on location pages.

Many pubs which are unable to reopen yet (and some that have reopened) are selling food and drink to take away. These are listed on this page.

Please note that due to government regulations, all takeaway drinks must be pre-booked by telephone, text or other means.

Lowestoft Herring Fishery

Lowestoft Herring Fishery

Closed 1840-1920

4 Old Nelson St

grid reference TM 551 933

The pub is also reported as Southend (1839), High Street & Nelson Street.

It seems probable that this un-named pub, shown on an OS town plan of 1885, was the Herring Fishery.

old OS map





(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)