also traded as Wheat Sheaf
Closed :unknown era
grid reference TL 640 634
The pub is shown here on an OS town plan of 1885.
The Wheatsheaf is also listed at Mill Hill.
Regent Street is now known as Rowley Drive.
The pub has been demolished and replaced with modern housing. When it closed its license was transferred to the newly-built Palomino.
To be sold by auction by Thomas Foreman on Thu 15 January at 2 o'clock in the afternoon at the White Horse inn in Newmarket the following:
LOT IV: A copyhold PH called the Wheatsheaf in Newmarket, consisting of a kitchen, two parlours, 3 chambers, a good cellar and a large wine vault; back kitchen with a good chamber over and good stabling for 14 horses and a very good vault in the yard that will hold 40 pipes of beer. Also two tenements adjoining.Ipswich Journal, Saturday January 3rd 1789
NOTE: The same sale also included several other pubs including Newmarket White Horse, Waggon & Horses, Croydon, Burwell Anchor, Exning White Horse & Ashley Plough and a Brewery (owned by Robert Bones).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1830 Pigots Directory supplied by Sandra Easom)