North West, 52.26984,1.16864
Closed: 1942,43 or 46
last owner/operator: Lacon's
grid reference TM 162 682
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The licensing records show that in 1942 or 43, the Swan's license was "Suspended for duration" (of the war). It seems that the pub probably never re-opened; the license was surrendered on May 3rd 1946. Perhaps this was because the landlord was called up and didn't come home? Unfortunately licensing records are incomplete so we can't confirm this with the record of villagers lost to WW2.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Hartismere licensing records.
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.