Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
Update: pubs which are known to have reopened are now also listed. Please let Tony know if you know of pubs not listed that have reopened.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Clare Old Red Lion
Clare Old Red Lion
also traded as Red Lion, Lion
opened 17th century
45 Bridewell St
grid reference TL 770 457
A 17th century building with a 19th century façade.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Clare: The Lion Inn
Situated in Bridewell or Callis Street.
The House contains: Cellar, Tap Room, Keeping Room, small Parlour, 3 Bedrooms, Bake-Office and Store-Room.
The outbuildings comprise: Stables, long Pin Shed, Coal and Wood-houses, Piggeries, Large Garden and Yard, approached from the high road by folding gates.
Occupied by Mrs. Newman.Details of pub premises belonging to the Kedington Brewery estate sold, along with the brewery buildings, by auction 13 July 1883***
Re-fronted in the 19th century partly in red brick. An inn of this name is mentioned in the probate inventory of John Turpin of Clare (1688), a brewer and baker of some substance.
The inn closed when the landlord moved to The Globe in Callis Street.
Reported at 16 Bridewell St. in 1881.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Historical detail found in Clare Book II streets
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***Original source of documentation - Suffolk Records Office – transcribed by Graham Nunn)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.