grid reference TM 111 405Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
Copdock is part of the Copdock & Washbrook parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Copdock White Elm
also traded as as: New Elm Innhistorical closure era: late 20th century
closed September 28th, 1970
The 1838 OS map shows this pub as being at the junction with Elm Lane. The Post Office Directory of 1891 lists Kerry Lambert as landlord of the White Elm, whereas Kelly's Directory of 1892 lists the same landlord at the "New Elm Inn". The original pub was demolished when the road was widened, presumably round about that time.
The "New Elm" is shown here on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
Closure date from Orwell licensing records.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.