grid reference TL 759 446Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Clare Millers' Arms
also traded as as: Cricketer's Armshistorical closure era: mid 20th century
The Millers' Arms may also be listed as being in Nethergate Street.
The original name was given to it by Richard Linsell, an Essex cricket player, who had the cottage built in 1834 and licensed it as the Cricketer's Arms.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. Larger map
 From "The life of Richard Linsell, the Essex Cricketer, Pedestrian, and Quoit Player":
In 1834, he entered upon a new speculation. He built a cottage about half-a-mile out of Clare, and obtained without any difficulty, a full licence to it; and from his love of cricket, called it "The Cricketers' Arms."
Thanks to Graham Jolliffe for this information
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Historical detail found in Clare Book II streets
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.