app

Lavenham Red Lion

Lavenham Red Lion

Closed before 1772?

opened 14th century

8-9 Market Place

grid reference TL 915 493

In recent years the former Red Lion has been used both as tea rooms and as a book-shop. The Listed Buildings Register confirms this as the correct building.

A reference to the pub appears in the Ipswich Journal, October 3rd 1772*** when a large Dwelling House, with the Yards and Buildings, formerly known by the Name of the Red Lyon, in the Market-Place, in Lavenham is being sold. (The sale appears to have been triggered by the death of Rowland Branwhite, Common Brewer)

Map

map

Gallery

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

X