app

Southwold Grand Hotel

Southwold Grand Hotel

closed 27th March 1940

North Parade

grid reference TM 510 765

The Grand Hotel was described in 1912 as:

magnificent position facing sea, near pier, station & golf links; luxuriously furnished apartments, including spacious lounge, billiard, smoking & reading rooms; lift; electric light; heated in winter; table d'hote; separate tables; extensive grounds; omnibus meets trains.

It was used by the army during the Second World War (requisitioned on March 27th 1940) and never reopened. The license was transferred to the Neptune.

The building was demolished in 1959.

The hotel is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

Map

map
expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X