Felsham Six Bells
Felsham Six Bells
Real Ale is sold here.
Church Rd, IP30 0PJ
grid reference TL 946 570
opened 16th century
owner/operator: Hawthorn Leisure
No juke box or background music, but live music is provided monthly. Despite having a large menu it is not treated as a restaurant (as in the past) but is now a pub that does offer home made food, with food available every session. May close half an hour early on quiet nights
A traditional pub with parts of the building dating from the late 16th century (possibly earlier), whilst others are 19th and 20th century.
Formerly a Greene King pub, but seen being re-signed as a freehouse when visited in August 2014.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
For the benefit of the creditors of Edward BEDDON, sale of The BELL Inn, Felsham.Ipswich Journal, July 8th 1801**
The Bells, Felsham, for sale...(Full description)...The whole in the occupation of Mr George SCOTT, the Proprietor, who will give possession at Michaelmas next having engaged another concernIpswich Journal, September 22nd 1813**
Many apologies to Kevin Forsyth, the landlord of Felsham Six Bells - which we incorrectly listed as closed in an edition of Last Orders - it was actually still trading whilst being refurbished and rebadged as a Free House. We certainly wish him well in this new venture.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)