Closed between 1840 and 1920
grid reference TM 153 450 (approximate location)
This pub appears in the 1861 census; although no house numbers are given, it is known to have been on the south side of Bramford Road, possibly at about number 49. We would love to identify the precise location; if you know, please let us know.
David H also tells us that there was still a Grasshopper Pub on Bramford Road in 1865, but it was not listed by 1904 or 1937.
There was also a grocer's shop in Prince's Street called the Grasshopper which is sometimes thought to have been a pub, but currently our best guess is that it probably wasn't.
At a Petty Sessions hearing on September 29th 1860 The Grasshopper was refused a new spirit licence. Out of the twenty four applications only three establishments were granted licences.
Sergeant Spinks said, on Sunday morning he visited the Grasshopper Inn, Bramford Road, about 12 o'clock, when he found the front door locked, but on going around the back of the premises he found several persons in the stable, the door of which was also locked. John Lambert, the landlord, who was charged with "Keeping a Beer House open during prohibited hours" told the court these parties had come to look at a pony and had nothing to drink…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Petty Sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings).
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)