app

Hadleigh Flying Chariot

Hadleigh Flying Chariot

also traded as Royal Oak

Closed before 1885?

92-94 Benton St

grid reference TM 029 418

This building is recorded as a former inn in the Listed Buildings Register. It's shown on OS maps as early as 1885 as "Flying Chariot", but not marked as a pub (by contrast, the nearby King's Arms is clearly marked as an inn), so may have closed before that date.

The building dates from the 16th century, but most features are from the 17th. It's one of the most beautifully pargetted buildings in the town (see the gallery for pictures).

The right-hand side of the building was reputedly once used as a butchers with a slaughterhouse to the rear.

Map

map

Gallery

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

X