Closed between 1840 and 1920
grid reference TL 643 633
The Dolphin stood close to the junction of Drapery Row and Wellington Street, opposite the Fountain. It can be seen on this old OS map from about the beginning of the 20th century (larger map).
Location information from the 1861 census - The Bushel, Market Street is at schedule number 33, the Woolpack, Drapery Row, is at 34, the Dolphin is at 54 and Fountain is at 56.
Mr Carter was subjected to some ribald comments from a butcher named Frederick Fuller while they were at the barbers. The conversation got out of hand with Carter threatening "corporal punishment" upon Fullers head. Fuller took objection to the threat and punched Carter in the mouth.Bury & Norwich Post, June 28th 1870** (when Mr Carter was the landlord)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Location confirmed with the help of the Newmarket Local History Society.
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.