grid reference TL 964 743Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Stanton Royal Oakhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
The pub is listed in George Hill, the Common, in the 1871, 1891 & 1901 censuses and the Common in 1881. It was probably to the north of the George, which is the next census entry in all cases. This is confirmed by the 1883 OS map (not available to us to reproduce) which shows the pub where we have it marked. It appears to have been demolished.
Thomas Pooley, of Stanton, applied for a full license for a beerhouse kept by him called the Royal Oak. After listening to the pros and cons the Justices refused the license, considering there was no occasion for another house in Stanton.Bury & Norwich Post, August 24th 1869** (when Thomas Pooley was the landlord)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)