grid reference TM 001 440Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 17/04/2018
Kersey Sunhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
8 Church Hill
Recent information from Viv Marsh includes the picture. This actually belongs to The Bell Inn but they were also happy to share it.
Viv accepts that the picture is far from conclusive but she has also discussed the pub with some of the village elders and experts (and Leys House current owners) who all confirm that it used to be a pub,. There may be another picture where the pub name is readable, but it cannot currently be found.
Although few of the other buildings in the photo can be seen today (they're either obscured by vegetation or have been replaced) the distinctive layout of the pub itself is still clear.
The location is based on the 1851 census which shows the pub on the west side of 'The Street' at schedule 24, William Grimwade [Bell] at 21 and The Green at 27+.
It was not found after the 1861 census.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)