formerly Malt Kiln, Cobbolds on the Quay
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
The pub has reopened.
Real Ale is sold here.
7 Wherry Quay, IP4 1AS
grid reference TM 168 440
Grade 2* listed, former Malting buildings including a splendid historical kiln. The two bars are on separate levels (one above other) with a large enclosed courtyard to the side. Increasingly popular as the dock area is being rejuvenated with new housing and university.
Most of the building dates from the late 18th/early 19th century, though some parts are older. The pub was greatly extended in early 2009. The company also owns Briarbank Brewery in the old bank building on Fore Street.
Nearest railway station
The Malt Kiln was originally opened by Tolly Cobbold and was later owned by Pubmaster.
Cobbold's on the Quay was owned by Tolly Cobbold brewery (management buyout) in late 1990s. Later it was leased to Greenways who used premises mainly as a Wine & Vodka bar for several years.
Isaac Lord was a local businessman who bought this Ipswich waterfront site from the Cobbold brewing family in 1900. Some buildings date from the early 15C to late 18C, reflecting the site's commercial and industrial use over four centuries.
During the period of Cobbolds ownership, some buildings were used as a Maltings, and a pub called the Wherry Inn was also located on the site. In 1930, Reginald Cooper joined Isaac Lord's business, helping to grow the firm's corn and coal interests, and eventually becoming the owner of the property.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)