Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Ipswich Lord Nelson (Nelson)
Ipswich Lord Nelson (Nelson)
formerly Noah's Ark
Real Ale is sold here.
81 Fore St, IP4 1JZ
grid reference TM 168 441
bar / diner, opened pre-1672
Set in a small part of the historic port area still remaining. It retains a half timbered front with dormer windows. An unusual gravity dispense system is used which incorporates a row of old wooden casks to good effect and guarantees a temperature controlled real ale.
Since mid-2017 the pub has been under the same management as the well-regarded Manningtree Red Lion. Ales are currently mainly from Adnams, though the plan is to source more from local micros.
Families are welcome to mix with an interesting and diverse clientèle which includes international travellers attracted from the rejuvenated wet dock and students from the new university campus. Booking maybe required for Sunday roasts and a curry night every Wednesday.…
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- CAMRA members' discount scheme
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Smoking area
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available: Ask at bar for key.
Railway station about 0.8 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Part of the building) was previously called the Noah's Ark
In 1805 the new name of the Lord Nelson was first noticed in the Overseer's accounts of St Clement's parish. The license to trade in intoxicating liquor (dated 1811) is extant and cost £9 indicating that the establishment was more than just a common beerhouse.
The pub may have been renamed when Lord Nelson was appointed as High Sheriff of Ipswich (1801). It retained two bars and a separate restaurant room until 1995 when major internal alterations were undertaken. …
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)