Ipswich Cock & Pye
Ipswich Cock & Pye
formerly Posada, Cock & Magpie?
Reopens July 27th.
Real Ale is sold here.
13 Upper Brook St, IP4 1EG
grid reference TM 164 445
A town centre pub with a nice façade but a heavily altered interior. It's a popular venue for live sport on TV and music at weekends.
This is one of Ipswich's most ancient pubs; one of only 24 to appear on a town assessment of 1689. It seems that it was formerly far more extensive than the current building.
The pub has a toilet for disabled customers.
The Cock & Magpie reference may be fanciful.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- CAMRA members' discount scheme: 10% discount off real ales for CAMRA members
- Cask Marque accredited
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Sport TV
- WiFi available
Railway station about 0.8 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held on festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, September 14th 1728*** to the Cock and Pye in Brook-street, Ipswich
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, June 9th 1733*** to Mr Birch at the Cock and Pye in Brook-street, Ipswich (In June and Dec 1734 and in Jan 1735 there are reports that Mr Birch wishes to sell the premises)…
We are grateful to Charlie Haylock who has helped to clarify the current debate on the possible origins of this name:
It may originate from an ancient oath 'by cock and pie' - an allusion to a gastronomical dish once created for banquets of chivalry - peacock pie as illustrated in the current pub sign and included a guilded head at one end and a fanned tail at the other - and marked solemn occasion when knights-errant would pledge themselves to hazardous undertakings or enterprises.
Otherwise and increasingly more likely it could be as a result of the oath “Cock and Pye” that was common in Elizabethan times together with other references in medieval writing where they sometimes used “Cock” as a euphemism for “God” . . . and “Pye” as a very common nickname for the Ordinal.
This second version of the origins is also supported by Prof. A.D. Mills who is an authority on English language from Anglo-Saxon times to present day.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)