grid reference TM 163 434Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich Great Eastern
also traded as as: GER, Albert, Royal Alberthistorical closure era: late 20th century
42-44 Croft St
It was called the Royal Albert, Wherstead Road, in 1851 census and the Albert, Albert Street, in 1861 census. In both cases it was listed next to the EUR.
It has also been listed at Wolsey St.
Was owned by Stewart & Patterson for some time.
The pub is shown (but not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The GER was formed in 1862 by amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway with smaller railways: the Norfolk Railway, the Eastern Union Railway, the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway, the East Norfolk Railway, the Harwich Railway, the East Anglian Railway and the East Suffolk Railway among others.