Ipswich Royal Oak
Ipswich Royal Oak
closed 13th January 2014
last owner/operator: Punch Taverns
175 Felixstowe Rd, IP3 8EB
grid reference TM 182 436
In September 2015, after the pub had been closed for some time, it was announced that the Co-Op had bought it and intended to turn it into a hostel and drop-in centre for recovering street-drinkers and other addicts. There is a bookmaker's, two supermarkets and at least three other shops within five minutes' walk, all selling booze at pocket-money prices; good luck with that one...
This distinctive two roomed pub was extensively refurbished early in the 21st century, when it was knocked through to make one large room. It had a pool table and large screen TV showing sport.
There was live music several nights per week.
John Chevallier COBBOLD, now residing at Holy Wells. Gentleman (Owner) & James Goodall GOODING, 39, Fore Hamlet, St Clements, dealer & the person desiring to hold a licence will apply for the provisional removal of the licence from the Royal Oak, Northgate Street, held by William BROWN (& apply for a new licence for) a house about to be erected, abutting Derby Road, towards the East & the Felixstowe Road, to the South, owned by John C. COBBOLD.Ipswich Journal, August 5th 1882***
On 5 Feb, Charles Fisk a bricklayer had previously been refused drink at the Royal Oak beerhouse on Felixstowe Road. Mrs Sarah Cook the landlady had served him with a beer at 10.30am after which he started using obscene language…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.