formerly Lily's Bar
Real Ale is sold here.
100 St Helen's Street, IP4 2LB
grid reference TM 170 445
A small pub with a number of televisions around it. Real Ale is sometimes available, but it seems hit & miss.
Most of the building is 19th century but it's thought to originate much earlier.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Family friendly
- Real fire
- Smoking area
- Sport TV
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Railway station about 1.0 mile away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
In 1871 census there were also 5 lodgers.
At the Ipswich Petty Sessions held in May 1875, the license for the Water Lily, St Helen’s Street, was transferred from Arthur Battell to George Potter Smith. Ipswich Journal, May 1875**
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse. According to the Ipswich licensing records, the Water Lily got its full license on February 29th 1960.
In June 2012, the pub reverted to its original name, after several years as Lily's Bar.
In the past, the Water Lily was known as a pony & trap pub. It was laid out so that a pony & trap could be driven through the front door and onward to stabling at the back. Then when the owner had finished drinking, it could be driven out onto Rope Walk and away…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)