Real Ale is sold here.
The Street, IP7 6DY
grid reference TM 000 441
bar / diner, opened approx. 1379
owner/operator: Punch Taverns
Timber framed pub which is popular with diners & offers a number of seating areas. Set close to the village's famous water splash. Be careful of the ducks!
The building dates from about 1379.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Sale by Auction on 29 April 1813
Lot 3. A capital public house known by the sign of The Bell, Kersey, in the occupation of Mr Robert WARD consisting of 3 parlours, 6 chambers, good kitchen, brew house, pantry, cellar and wash house, stable, yard, cart lodge and an excellent malting office with chambers for 15 coombs steep.Suffolk Chronicle, April 10th 1813***
To be sold or let by private contract with immediate possession that well known public house, the Bell Inn, at Kersey, with malt office and large garden annexed…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)