Melton Horse & Groom
Melton Horse & Groom
also traded as Saracen's Head
closed December 2009
Yarmouth Rd, IP12 1QB
grid reference TM 283 506
Now residential and called Thomas Churchyard House, this was a coaching inn in middle of the village.
The building dates from the 18th century, with a 19th century façade.
Years of neglect saw both the kitchen and the letting rooms fall below standard. In the pub's last two years a succession of tenants came and went. No purchasers came forward, so the doors closed for the last time in December 2009.
Curiously, the OS map from about 1904 seems to point at the building to the right of the one known to have been the pub; could the license have moved at some point?
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1904. interactive map
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, 6th February 6th 1768*** to the Saracen's Head at Melton.
Andrew Blake, from Ipswich, has taken the Horse and Groom in Melton, late the Sign of the Saracen's Head.Ipswich Journal, 25 November 25th 1769***
We hear that half of the ticket (Lottery) drawn a prize of £5000 belongs to a club at the Horse and Groom, Melton.Ipswich Journal, 12 Dec 1778***
Annual shew of Sheep and lambs will be held at John Syer’s the Horse and Groom at Melton on 20 Aug inst. All gentlemen and others met with good entertainment and a hearty welcome from their humble servant John Syer… Diner at 1 o clock. Ipswich Journal, Aug 10 1782
Annual shew of sheep and lambs will be held at John Syers the Horse and Groom at Melton.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)
(***** historic newspaper information from John Martin)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.