A large village lying on the northern bank of the river Deben and now converged with Woodbridge. Melton was recorded in Domesday as "Meltuna". The station has reopened to passenger traffic after many years of closure. A 15th century gaol house can still be seen on the main street (near the Post Office). In 1558 it housed Francis Noone who was confined prior to her burning. Close to Wilford Bridge on the north side of the village is a picnic area which gives good views of river estuary and offers fine riverside walks.
The new housing estate and 9 hole golf course about a mile north of the town (close to Ufford Park) is located on the site of the former House of Industry for parishes of Loes and Wilford hundreds (built in 1765) which was then later (1827) converted into the Suffolk Lunatic Asylum. Later it was better known as St Audry's Hospital and in 1970s had 530 beds (closed 1993).
The 1839 Pigot's Directory lists Edward Sawyer as a brewer.
The 1851 census also lists Ishmael Pratt (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/27/born Campsey Ash) and James Asten (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/58/born Fressingfield)
The 1855 White's Directory lists James Asten as a beer house keeper.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists William Rout as a beer retailer and Mrs Mary Sawyer as a baker & brewer.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists James Sawyer as a baker & brewer.
The 1874 White's Directory lists James Sawyer as a baker, brewer & beer retailer & Edward Smith as a brewers assistant, an…