South East, 52.2551,1.55767
Real Ale is sold here.
The St, IP17 3NN
grid reference TM 429 678
A lovely thatched village local with a single traditional bar and a separate dining area. Gravity beer is still served from a back bar. The huge garden leads down to a small stream and unspoilt meadows.
The building is believed to date from the 17th century, though it has been extended since.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Beer served through handpumps
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available: Free - ask at bar for key.
Railway station about 3.0 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from 1883 (interactive map)
Apparently at one time the Bell used to brew and provide beer for the monks at Leiston Abbey.
To be sold by auction, at the King's Arms, Halesworth, on the 17th January 1821, as part of a large sale of Independent Inns and Public House, of established trade, in Suffolk, Lot 4., the Bell public house at Middleton…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)