North East, 52.17031,0.63584
Real Ale is sold here.
The Village Green, IP29 4BE
grid reference TL 803 557
owner/operator: Admiral Taverns
A beautiful looking pub known for its food but also providing some fine beer. Part thatched with a cosy interior. Quarry tiled floor and wood-burner in old fireplace. Several bar stools encourage non-diners, a "satnav" may prove useful as it is rather tucked away. Run by landlord Brian Desborough for over 30 years. Patio outside and a rather secluded garden.
Beer and food quality are so good that despite its remote location it's very popular.
The pub was built in the mid 16th century.
Nearest railway station
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post, October 17th 1899** recorded that a full indoor license was being sought by the owners Greene, King and Sons for the Plough, Rede. It was stated that :
the police authority was strongly in favour of indoor licenses rather than outdoor as they were easier to supervise. To overcome objections the owners had made alterations to provide two separate entrances. (The Plough was not only a beerhouse but also a shop). A full license was granted.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)