Currently closed - may reopen?
The St, IP29 4HU
grid reference TL 873 530
opened about 1840
owner/operator: The Bush (Shimpling) Ltd
Traditional pub with exposed beams & flagstone floors. Locally sourced food and ales. The Bush has a cosy bar with a log fire, a large restaurant and a large pub garden where meals can be served al fresco in the summer months.
It was built in the 16th century but only converted into a pub in the 19th.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Nearest railway station
For sale, on the Long Melford side, in the Parish of Shrimpling, the public-house, called The BUSH (being sold with a substantial tower-built Windmill, extensive malting houses & 12 cottages) within a mile of the Bury road & 8 miles from that Market.Ipswich Journal, November 24th 1824**
The licensed Victuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to S.CLAYDON of an unnamed pub in Shimpling, Bury.Ipswich Journal, 26 October 26th 1869**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.